Thursday, January 6, 2011

Don't Misunderstand the Misunderstandings

Somethings are better judged by actions. Miscommunication sometimes leads to obnoxious interpretations and even more weird directions. The other day I met a friend's boyfriend. Now, this Mr Kid had just started a website which was about the un-common and un-noticed achievers. About the common people with not-so-common stories. The subject was light and caught my interest. I took down the web address and as soon as I got home, I sat down to surf the net. As I clicked 'GO' on my browser, the website appeared. NO! It wasn't what I'd thought! It was a PEST-Control help site! I tried it again. Same result.

I scrolled down hoping to find something else. I found names of the following 'helpful' sites- guardianpestcontrol.com, insectimages.org, epestssupply.com, doyourownpestcontrol.com. I mean who names sites like these? insect images.com? Why would someone already flooded with pests in their house ever want to see that site? E-pestssupply.com? Do we need more of those bugs in our homes? What do these guys think we do with them? Feed them? Provide them with amusement? Why would we want a supply of those pests? And do-your-own-pest-control.com? Seriously? Can the pest-control guys BE more annoying? Or probably all these pest control people are sadists who take pleasure when the creepy-crawlies scare the hell out of folks like us. These are real websites, mind you, I haven't made these up. So, while I shuddered at the thought of a cockroach crawling up my leg, the ringtone of my phone startled me! It was that friend! I spared no abuse! Then she asked me, "Which site did you visit?". I sent her the link and waited for her apology. She called me back, laughing! "Charu, you never did put the hyphen between the two words!" I hung up that very second. Could that be possible? Did I......YES! I had! :'(

Some misunderstandings, thankfully, aren't as dreadful. Last night I was returning from an incomplete (due to cold) long walk.

The number of calories I had burnt were demanding revenge, each one wanting to replace itself with a hundred more! What could I do? So my wandering eyes (for food, in this particular case ;-) ) halted at a dimly lit chowmein-thela. There it was, in shivering cold, a quantum of solace. I hurried on to the thela and politely between bouts of uncontrollable shiver, I told him, "Bhaiya, dus rupaye ki chowmein de dijiye please". The man looked up at me, his eyes locked with mine for 2 seconds and then he went back to making his speciality. The first round of steaming hot noodles was ready. He served a few other of his hungry customers waiting there. There was a strange-looking policeman standing there who was staring at my i-Pod continuously. I did not appreciate his stare, not one bit!

I was hoping to snatch the next plate of chowmein for myself when I saw that it was finished. What was that now! It really put me off. The guy didn't even look at me and mumbled loud enough for me to hear, "Bana rahe hain madam apke liye." I cursed him under my breath and waited. He had served every single of his customers, only I was left. Nonetheless, I was a Fighter and my Fat Layer, a Survivor! I felt odd standing there alone and I complained, "Bhaiya aap chhod do, mujhe der ho rahi hai, main jaa rahi hun." He, for the second time now looked at me, "Madam ban gaya hai ab, kha lijiye." I could smell the food, nice! I thought now he'd serve; but he left his thela calling after some Chhotu! That pissed me off, badly! I was standing there and he left the thela? I was so annoyed that I actually waited for him to come back and he see what had he left me for. He returned with a small kid and gave hum a spoon of chowmein. I couldn't believe this sight! What had I run into?!?! This guy was unbelievably annoying. I started to walk away. 

He called after me and that's when I understood everything. He asked the kid to taste the salt before serving it to me. A guy who makes it professionally daily needed to check the amount of salt? He probably sensed what I was thinking and said, "Madam yahan jo log khane ate hain wo bohot zyada mirch masala aur namak lete hain, aap toh kam mirchi namak khati hongi, isiliye chhotu ko khila kar dekh raha tha." That touched me. I thanked him, not because I eat less spices but because he took the extra pain of making another round again, just for me and the gesture of calling Chhotu for tasting really made me feel that some times the random-est of strangers evoke the strangest of emotions in you.

That was one misunderstanding I'll never forget.

8 comments:

  1. congrats on ur new blog.....achha hai...do take me to the chowmien thela.....wanna try his noodles....

    ReplyDelete
  2. phir akele gayi tu chowmein khane...!!! :-|
    .
    .
    .
    Girly Momma hates you... :-X

    ReplyDelete
  3. welcome to the blog-sphere...If i say, i liked it, that would be an understatement...by the way,take away from this post...stay guarded..since I happen to know the ppl in the first half of the post..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anand! :-D hi! and if you're thinking you're Mr. Kid, you're wrong! :-P It's a true story, my friend! true story! and i'm glad you liked it! more to come!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charu..I did not, even for a minute think it was me...I just said, I happen to know..and by the way..am I not little too old to be a Kid?

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you ask me, No, you're not! :-P check out the new post. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How did he know that you need less mirch masala???..(I safely assume that no one can). For sure this thelawala is screwd.. He is definitely saving on his mirch masala by manipulating you!!! ~ You know me for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete